Monday, October 5, 2009

Shower and Shave

"Thanks Emily, come back soon, ok?"
I turned to my station looking at the floor and started sweeping up the hair from Emily's head. Too many grays, I'll have to talk to her next time about covering that up with color. As I stood there in a daze, something caught my eye, raising my head I peered out the window. Too late to hide, I took a deep breath wishing I could instantly disappear. The man was haggard, as usual. He slapped his wallet down onto the table, and as he did so smelled like garbage that's been sitting around for days. His shirt stained with what appeared to be last night's dinner. His hair, peppered with sawdust, layed heavy against his forehead and was greasy. His jeans were dirty and ripped on the side, showing his black leg hair. Tan boots covered in cement, dropped particles onto the floor with every step, and were heavy and loud when he walked. When he spoke his voice eched across the room, filling the entire salon with sound.
"I need a haircut and shave!" he bellowed.
All the other girls were busy with their own customers, nothing could save me from that moment. I wanted to tell him to go to the nearest trough and fall in, not coming back until he's clean. I wanted to tell him to stay outside and I'd bring the clippers to him, shaving him like a sheep! I wanted to tell him a lot of certainties regarding hygiene...I remained silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment