Friday, September 11, 2009

As I was driving home from work I was listening to talk radio and at the beginning of the program they played Amazing Grace and another moving song. In the background you could hear real conversations taking place on 9/11 from emergency personnel talking to people via phone trapped in the twin towers. One conversation was a woman asking if she was going to die and the dispatcher asked her to pray with her. Another male dispatcher was telling a guy to stay calm, that they were on their way, just stay calm. It's amazing how fast those images and memories fade. I needed the reminder, really. It was so unbelievable, in fact that's exactly how one reporter described it, "Unbelievable, just unbelievable." I'm so glad I put my flag out this morning and I even wore a little flag pin on my shirt. Like my proud badge for patriotism. The important thing to remember is to never forget. The irony that day is that the government was wanting to decrease our defense spending that day, I think they were voting on a bill to do just that, or an Amendment. We've become so much smarter in our intelligence since 9/11, thanks to 9/11. I believe good can come out of evil. It's happening today, even as I speak. I'm proud to call myself an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment