Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Life Insurance Claim

I learned some things today from a claim I was handling. A 20 yr old woman was found in the parking lot of her apartment complex and she had tire tracks on her. The police were investigating her death and had brought in the homicide unit. So I assumed I was dealing with a homicide. I contacted the police department and no, the beneficiary was not involved. I was re-evauating the claim today and decided to search for updated news articles. Good thing I did. I found one where the Medical Examiner was quoted as saying the girl's death was caused by heroine intoxication, ethanol intoxication and blunt force injuries. She basically passed out from the drugs and alcohol, was face down in the pavement and was backed into or run over. Now when this girl decided to get hooked on heroine, do you think she ever would have thought she would have ended up a human speed bump - so-to-speak? What a waste. She was beautiful. So I learned you never want to assume anything when handling claims and I was blown away by how many people get hooked on drugs and alcohol and don't think about this stuff. Are they that stupid? Her mother has lost a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment